Health Tip: Why Breast-Feed?
How it may benefit baby and mom
(HealthDay News) -- Whether to breast-feed is a personal choice that new mothers should consider carefully.
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services offers this list of potential breast-feeding benefits to both baby and mother:
- Breast milk is the most complete source of nutrition for babies. Many babies digest breast milk more easily than formula.
- Some studies show that babies who are breast-fed may develop better.
- Breast-feeding can help new moms to lose baby weight, as it burns calories.
- Studies have shown that women who breast-fed their children may have a reduced risk of developing breast and ovarian cancer, as well as bone problems later in life, such as osteoporosis.
- Breast-feeding can help new mothers and their babies bond.
Copyright © 2008 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.