Health Tip: If You Have to Take Iron Supplements
Suggestions to make the medicine go down
(HealthDay News) -- If you are anemic or need iron supplements for another reason, taking the pills can be difficult.
The American Academy of Family Physicians suggests how to make taking iron supplements a little easier:
- Take the pills with food.
- Gradually work your way up to the number of pills your doctor prescribed each day. Start out with one a day, then after three to five days, begin increasing the amount until you've reached the daily dose recommended by your doctor.
- If iron pills make you constipated, add fiber to your daily diet.
- If the pills make your stomach upset, don't take them before you go to sleep.
- If a particular brand causes problems, ask your doctor about different brands or formulas.
Copyright © 2008 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.