Health Tip: Why am I Constipated?
Some possible causes
(HealthDay News) - Constipation often is defined as producing fewer than three bowel movements in a week. Other symptoms may include producing small, hard stools; and significant straining during bowel movements.
The University of Michigan Health System lists these common causes of constipation:
- Insufficient fiber in the diet.
- Not getting enough exercise.
- Lifestyle factors, including taking certain medications, pregnancy, travel or aging.
- Not acting on the urge to produce a bowel movement.
- Having conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome, a blockage of the colon or rectum, or certain systemic diseases.
Copyright © 2008 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.