Health Tip: Have a Healthy Trip
Suggestions for when traveling overseas
(HealthDay News) - If you're heading to a foreign country, some basic precautions can help reduce your risk of getting sick.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these suggestions to help keep you healthy while you travel:
- Always eat meals that are very hot and have been cooked thoroughly in a restaurant. Avoid foods from street vendors, especially in countries where visitors are prone to diarrhea.
- Don't drink water from the tap, and don't use ice, brush your teeth or wash foods with tap water. Use only bottled water for these activities.
- Get shots that are appropriate for the country you are visiting. Ask your doctor how far in advance you should get them to get the highest amount of protection.
- Don't forget a repellent that contains DEET, to help ward off diseases carried by mosquitoes and other insects.
- Don't swim in freshwater lakes or streams.
- Avoid using crowded forms of public transportation.
Copyright © 2008 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.