Health Tip: Getting Enough Sleep During Pregnancy
Suggestions to stay comfortable
(HealthDay News) - Many women have difficulty sleeping during pregnancy, when getting enough rest is particularly important.
The National Sleep Foundation offers these suggestions for sleeping more comfortably during pregnancy:
- Later in the pregnancy, don't sleep on your back for long periods. Try sleeping on your left side for better blood flow.
- Drink most of your fluids during the day, not in the evening and just before bed.
- Avoid eating any foods that give you heartburn.
- Try supporting your stomach with pregnancy body pillows (regular pillows also may suffice) while you sleep.
- Take an afternoon nap.
- Before bed, relax by way of meditation, breathing techniques, or a warm bath or shower.
Copyright © 2008 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.