Health Tip: Before Giving Yoga a Try
Take precautions to help prevent injury
(HealthDay News) - While yoga is a relatively safe form of exercise, you should take precautions, especially if you're just beginning.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these recommendations to practice yoga safely:
- If you have any medical condition, don't try yoga without consulting your doctor first.
- Learn the proper technique from a certified yoga instructor.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Be sure to warm up before starting your yoga routine.
- Start out slowly, making sure that you are performing each move and position correctly.
- Stop if you start to feel uncomfortable or notice pain.
Copyright © 2008 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.