Health Tip: Binge Drinking
Suggestions for cutting back
(HealthDay News) - Many people enjoy an occasional beer or glass of wine, but others drink alcohol excessively in binges.
If you tend to binge drink, here are suggestions for how to stop, courtesy of the U.S. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism:
- Avoid temptation by keeping no alcohol at home.
- Be wise when you drink. Drink very slowly, with food, and drink water or soda between alcoholic drinks.
- Don't drink every day. Choose a few days each week where you decide not to drink. Eventually, go an entire week without drinking.
- Come up with other activities to substitute for drinking, such as going to the movies, shopping or out to eat.
- Don't feel pressured to drink when around others who are drinking. Learn to say no, and ask friends and family for support when you need it.
Copyright © 2008 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.