Health Tip: Before You Get Pregnant
Take care of your body
(HealthDay News) - It's important to take care of yourself while you're pregnant. But you should begin caring for your body long before you confirm that you're expecting a baby.
Here are suggestions on how to prepare your body for pregnancy, courtesy of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services:
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet, rich in fruits and vegetables and low in fat.
- Start a regular exercise routine. You should get at least 30 minutes of exercise on most days of the week.
- Stick to a regular sleep schedule, to make sure you get plenty of rest every night.
- Take a daily multivitamin that includes 400 micrograms of folic acid.
- See your doctor for a physical exam, and make sure you're up-to-date on all vaccinations. Also talk to your doctor about whether any of your current medications may not be safe during pregnancy.
- Don't use illicit drugs, cigarettes or alcohol.
Copyright © 2008 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.