Health Tip: The Dangers of Excessive Drinking
What too much alcohol can do to your body
(HealthDay News) - While an occasional glass of wine has been shown to offer health benefits, drinking frequently or drinking too much can trigger serious health problems.
Here are facts about alcohol and your health, courtesy of the University of Michigan Health System:
- Alcohol can lead to production of more acid in the stomach, which may contribute to gastritis, pancreatitis or ulcers.
- Alcohol can cause the body to retain uric acid, which can lead to gout.
- Excessive alcohol consumption may increase your risk of cancers of the pancreas, liver, mouth, tongue and throat, as well as liver disease such as cirrhosis.
- Too much alcohol can make your body lose needed proteins, minerals and vitamins.
- Too much alcohol can also increase your risks of heart disease and stroke.
Copyright © 2007 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.