Health Tip: Stay Safe in the Kitchen
Help prevent injury and food poisoning
(HealthDay News) - Many a safety hazard or potential foodborne illness has its origin in the kitchen.
Here are suggestions to help keep you safe in the kitchen, courtesy of the University of Maine Cooperative Extension:
- To prevent the spread of bacteria and foodborne illness, keep your kitchen clean. Wash your hands frequently, wash foods before you prepare them, and clean countertops and utensils regularly.
- Be careful lifting and carrying heavy dishes, especially if they're hot. Ask for help carrying items that are large or heavy.
- Don't leave knives and other sharp utensils sitting in dishwater. Someone could easily cut themselves reaching into the water.
- Keep the kitchen floor clear of spills and debris.
- Prevent kitchen fires by keeping all flammable objects away from the stove and oven.
Copyright © 2007 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.