Health Tip: If You Have Seizures
Suggestions to help keep you safe
(HealthDay News) - Seizures are triggered by abnormal electrical signals in the brain. People may have seizures because of an injury, a disease or condition, or less often, due to substance or alcohol abuse.
People who have seizures may keep in mind the following precautions, courtesy of the University of Michigan Health System:
- Take all prescription medications and follow all precautions as directed by your doctor.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle with a well-balanced diet, regular exercise and plenty of sleep.
- In case of emergency, always wear a medical ID bracelet that identifies you as someone who has seizures.
- If your seizures are not well controlled, avoid high-risk sports like scuba diving or skiing.
- Avoid jobs that could endanger your health if you have a seizure, such operating heavy machinery.
Copyright © 2007 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.