Health Tip: Risk Factors for Type 1 Diabetes
Including a family history
(HealthDay News) --Type 1 diabetes, sometimes called juvenile diabetes, affects the amount of insulin produced by the pancreas. Insulin is a hormone that regulates blood sugar levels.
Here is a list of potential risk factors for the disease, courtesy of Aurora Health Care:
- A family history of type 1 diabetes.
- Having another autoimmune disease.
- Being born to an older mother.
- Being born to a mother who had preeclampsia.
- Being of Northern European or Mediterranean descent.
- Certain environmental factors, including stress or exposure to certain toxins.
Copyright © 2007 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.