Health Tip: Speak With Your Teen About Dating Safety
Some basic suggestions
(HealthDay News) - Dating is a natural part of the teen years. But it's important for both teenagers and parents to review some basic dating safety information.
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services offers these suggestions when talking to your teen:
- Encourage your child to get to know someone over the phone or at school before going out on a date.
- If your child wants to go out, make sure it's to a public place.
- Encourage fun and safe outings, like a picnic, a trip to the mall, or the movies.
- Talk to your child about the importance of speaking up about what makes her comfortable and uncomfortable.
- Make sure she -- and her date -- both understand what time she is to return home.
- Be sure that your child tells you where she's going, who she'll be with, and how you can reach her.
Copyright © 2007 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.