Health Tip: Treating Fatty Liver Disease
Lifestyle changes improve liver function
(HealthDay News) - Fatty liver disease is a condition whose name describes it perfectly: excess fat builds up in the liver.
This excess fat can cause inflammation in the liver, and this can eventually lead to dangerous hardening of the organ.
Although fatty liver disease cannot be cured, here are some treatments to help reduce or reverse damage, courtesy of the American Liver Foundation:
- Lose weight sensibly through a healthy, balanced diet and regular exercise.
- Lower triglyceride levels through diet and exercise, or through medications.
- Do not drink alcohol.
- Diabetics should keep their disease well under control.
- Eat a healthy, low-calorie and low-fat diet.
- Exercise regularly.
- Have regular checkups and exams with a doctor who specializes in liver diseases.
Copyright © 2007 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.