Health Tip: Choosing a Contraceptive
Information about the different types
(HealthDay News) -- Among couples who wish to prevent unwanted pregnancy, there are many contraceptive options available.
Here are some of them, courtesy of the American Academy of Family Physicians:
- Condoms, which also protect against sexually transmitted disease.
- A diaphragm or cervical cap, which must be fitted by a doctor.
- Birth control pills, which must be taken each day.
- The prescription birth control patch.
- The vaginal contraceptive ring, which is worn all the time in three-week increments.
- Hormone shots, which can prevent pregnancy for about one to three months.
- An intrauterine device (IUD), which is implanted in the uterus.
Copyright © 2007 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.