Health Tip: Prevent Cooking Fires
Stay safe in the kitchen
(HealthDay News) -- Kitchen stoves are a common source of fires in the home.
Here are guidelines to help prevent fires in the kitchen, courtesy of New York's Department of State:
- Never place dishrags, pot holders or towels on or near a burner.
- When cooking, don't wear loose-fitting clothing or reach across the stove.
- Don't use any aerosol spray cans near the stove.
- Never lean against the stove while it's in use.
- Don't use towels in place of pot holders.
- Never let children around a hot stove or stove top.
- Don't place items above the stove -- like candy or cookies -- that children may try to reach.
Copyright © 2007 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.