Health Tip: Living With Bipolar Disorder
Suggestions on how to cope
(HealthDay News) -- Bipolar disorder, also called manic-depressive illness, is characterized by extreme mood swings.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these suggestions to help you cope with bipolar disorder:
- Find out as much as you can about the disorder -- ask your doctor for good references and resources.
- Maintain a regular routine of sleeping and waking times, mealtimes and exercise.
- Continue to take your medications prescribed by your doctor.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol, and don't take over-the-counter cold, allergy or cough medicines.
- Try to reduce stress.
- Monitor your moods, and tell your doctor when you start to notice significant changes.
Copyright © 2007 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.