Health Tip: Prevent Problems With Contact Lenses
Proper care is essential
(HealthDay News) -- Wearing contact lenses requires precautions to protect your eyes from infection.
The University of Michigan Kellogg Eye Center offers these suggestions on how to care for contact lenses:
- Always wash your hands before handling your lenses or touching your eyes.
- Never let anyone else wear your lenses.
- Only take lenses in and out as prescribed by your doctor -- don't put them in and remove them repeatedly throughout the day.
- Only purchase lenses that your doctor has prescribed. Avoid so-called "fashion" lenses or purchasing any lenses from someone other than a reputable source.
- Replace lenses regularly on the schedule prescribed by your doctor.
- Clean lenses thoroughly and regularly as recommended by your doctor.
- Throw away disposable lenses. Don't try to sterilize or re-use them.
Copyright © 2007 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.