"Brands" of Helpful Bacteria
Has the "probiotic" bacteria in a particular brand of yogurt or supplement been subjected to scientific studies? Listed below are species that have been tested; an "x" indicates that a species seems to counter the specified health problem. Various strains of the species listed here may have been studied to varying degrees. Species that do not appear in this table may or may not have been tested.
|Probiotic Species||Irritable Bowel Syndrome||Intestinal Viral Diarrhea||Other Diarrhea*||Urogenital||Respiratory||Allergy|
* "Other Diarrhea" includes antibiotic-associated diarrhea, traveler's diarrhea, and diarrhea caused by the microbe Clostridium difficile.
Source: Adapted from The Probiotics Revolution, by Gary Huffnagle, Ph.D., and Sarah Wernick. Copyright (c) 2007 Gary Huffnagle, Ph.D., and Sarah Wernick
• Support Grows for Healthy Bacteria
• Prebiotics: Food for Good Bacteria
• Supplements Will Have to Live Up to Their Labels (June 26)
• Video: Health News & Features
• Complementary And Alternative Medicine Health Community
• More From Health