Docs Should Counsel Heart Attack Survivors on Resuming Sex, Experts Say

Too often, worries over the safety of sexual activity are not addressed

HealthDay + More

"We need to address the emotional and psychosocial issues, too," Steinbaum said.

So what can heart attack survivors do? "Know that you're not alone in having fears surrounding sexual activity," Abramsohn said. "And if you are concerned, bring it up with your doctor."

If you do that but still "feel you're not being heard," Steinbaum said, you can ask for a referral to someone who works with heart patients -- a social worker, psychologist or cardiac rehab nurse, for example.

More information

The U.S. National Library of Medicine has more about heart disease and sex.

Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.