(HealthDay News) -- Playing in the great outdoors during the chilly winter months can be a lot of fun, but it's important to take precautions.
The American Academy of Pediatrics offers this advice:
- Wear sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15 all winter long.
- Dress kids in layers, starting with moisture-wicking fabrics close to the skin. Be wary of hoods that could block vision and scarves that could pose a choking hazard if they became tangled.
- Wear helmets and other protective gear when necessary, and follow general safety rules.
- Be careful that all bodies of water used for skating are completely frozen solid.
- Make sure all equipment is in good working order and fits properly.
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.