(HealthDay News) -- Before you pack your bags for your next trip, make sure you read up on how to prevent back pain from lugging luggage.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these suggestions:
- Buy luggage with wheels and a handle that's sturdy and lightweight.
- Don't overpack, and use several small bags instead of stuffing everything into one heavy suitcase.
- Lift with your legs instead of your back, bending at the knees and holding the luggage close to your body.
- If possible, use both hands to carry luggage.
- If carrying a shoulder bag, make sure you switch sides often.
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.