She also suggested getting down on your hands and knees and crawling around your house to get the same view your child might have. "That's when you'll see grandma's heart medicine that fell under the couch," Lowry said.
If the worst happens and you or a child has come into contact with a poisonous substance or ingested it, the first thing to do is to call 1-800-222-1222. That's a nationwide number that will link you to a poison control center, which has experts who can judge whether the situation can be handled at home or whether an ER visit is needed.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has more tips on preventing poisoning.
For more on the risks of poisonings at home, read a companion article on one woman's story.
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.