The man, whose name has not been released, developed headache, fever and chills on Friday about two hours after he left the lab where he was helping to develop a vaccine for Neisseria meningitidis, a bacterium that causes life-threatening blood infections and meningitis, ABC News reported.
"It looks like he took all the appropriate precautions," said Dr. Harry Lampiris, chief of infectious diseases at the San Francisco VA Medical Center, who described the ventilated workspace in the lab that sucks air up and any from the person handling the bacteria. "But this is under investigation by Cal-OSHA [California Occupational Health and Safety Association]."
Neisseria meningitidis is transmitted person-to-person through respiratory droplets. Ten people who had close contact with the researcher, including his girlfriend and roommates, have been given antibiotics, San Francisco Department of Public Health spokeswoman Eileen Shields told ABC News.
Another 60 people at the San Francisco VA Medical Center have received antibiotics, including the researcher's coworkers and medical staff involved in his treatment.
U.S. Health Officials Link Outbreak of Rare Eye Infection to Florida Pharmacy
Thirty-three cases of a rare eye infection spanning seven states were reported Thursday by U.S. health officials, who say they have traced the products linked with the outbreak to a Florida pharmacy.
Many of the eye infections have been traced to a dye and an injection including the corticosteroid triamcinolone from Franck's Compounding Lab, in Ocala. According to a report from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that was published Thursday, 20 of the cases appear to be linked to the dye and 13 are connected with triamcinolone. All the products involved were bought from Franck's, the report stated.
Some type of eye procedure that included surgery or injections was involved in all 33 cases; 23 of the patients suffered vision loss and 24 had to have another surgical procedure, the CDC report indicated. California health officials first alerted the CDC in March after nine patients treated at one center in that state developed the rare eye infection late last year. Meanwhile, Franck's recalled the dye lots and a single lot of triamcinolone in March.
The ongoing investigation has involved numerous state and local health departments, the CDC and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. When FDA officials tested unopened bottles of dye and unused syringes at Franck's, numerous species of bacteria and funguses were found, according to the CDC report.
Officials from Franck's said in a statement that several changes have been made at the lab to assure product safety, including hiring a pharmacist to oversee quality assurance, the Associated Press reported.
While the investigation is continuing, federal health officials advise doctors and patients to avoid "compounded products labeled as sterile from Franck's," the CDC report stated.
According to the AP, health officials noted that Franck's had mixed supplements in 2009 that wound up killing 21 elite polo horses. The owners of the ponies have since filed a lawsuit against the company, which admitted to putting too much selenium in the horse supplement mix, the wire service reported.
Ex-NFL Star's Death Likely to Spur Questions About Concussions
The apparent suicide of retired NFL star linebacker Junior Seau is likely to raise questions about the possible role of a brain disorder that results from repeated concussions, according to Scientific American.
Seau, 43, was found dead Wednesday in his California home after reportedly shooting himself in the chest. It's unknown what may have prompted him to commit suicide, authorities said.
Repeated concussions can cause a condition called chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), which can produce dementia and other types of cognitive dysfunction. The National Football League has had to contend with a growing incidence of CTE, Scientific American noted.