(HealthDay News) -- Ingrown toenails and nail fungus are just a couple of foot problems that may be prevented with proper care.
The American Podiatric Medical Association suggests how to help keep your feet and toes healthy:
- Keep feet clean and dry, washing frequently with water and soap.
- Properly trim your toenails, cutting them straight across.
- Change socks and shoes frequently.
- Wear shower shoes when in a public facility.
- Inspect your feet regularly for wounds or signs of infection.
- Make sure shoes fit properly, and wear socks made of synthetic materials instead of cotton, which tends to retain moisture.
- Don't wear hosiery that is too tight.
- Avoid polishing toenails that appear infected. Always disinfect any instruments used on your feet or nails.
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.