(HealthDay News) -- Foot ulcers (sores) are common in people with diabetes. Left uncontrolled or untreated, they can lead to amputation. In fact, diabetes is the leading cause of extremity amputation in the United States in cases that don't involve a traumatic injury.
The American Podiatric Medical Association offers these suggestions to help reduce the risk of foot ulcers.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol.
- Keep cholesterol under control.
- Manage blood glucose.
- Wear shoes and socks at all times.
- Check your feet regularly for wounds or abnormalities.
- Keep any sores that do develop clean and bandaged.
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.