(HealthDay News) -- Creating a home safety checklist can help seniors prevent injuries and let them prepare if they happen to fall or hurt themselves.
The Cleveland Clinic offers these guidelines for seniors and their loved ones:
- Start a list of emergency numbers -- including poison control, fire, police and the number of a neighbor.
- Make sure there is always a phone within reach.
- Install smoke detectors and check them regularly.
- Don't use space heaters or electric blankets, as both may be fire hazards.
- Install rails on stairways.
- Eliminate tripping hazards, such as loose runners.
- Use nightlights, and make sure all stairwells are well lit.
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.