(HealthDay News) -- If your doctor has prescribed an ultrasound, there are certain steps you'll need to take to prepare for the procedure.
The Radiological Society of North America offers these suggestions for what to do before your appointment:
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing. You may have to change into a gown during the procedure.
- Take off all jewelry near the part of your body that will be examined during the ultrasound.
- For some tests, you may be asked to avoid food and drink for up to 12 hours before the test.
- For other types of ultrasound, you may have to drink several glasses of water a few hours before the test, so that you have a full bladder.
- A clear gel will be applied to the skin near the study area, then the images are taken. After an ultrasound, you can go back to your normal activities and shouldn't have any side effects.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.