(HealthDay News) - When a loved one is recovering from a major illness, he or she may need a lot of help and support.
The American Heart Association offers these suggestions:
- Offer plenty of support and encouragement, and look for support groups for both of you to join.
- Go along for doctor appointments. Ask questions and take notes, in case there are questions later.
- Give an honest report to the doctor about how your loved one is feeling, and how well he or she is following instructions.
- Help track and record information, such as when and how to take medicines, which foods to avoid, and which forms of exercise are safe.
- Offer to make healthy changes together. If your loved has to stop smoking, start exercising or change diet, make the same changes yourself.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.