If you are unable to evacuate, go to your safe room. If you do not have a safe room, you should:
- Stay indoors during the hurricane and keep away from windows and glass doors.
- Secure and brace external doors and close all interior doors.
- Keep curtains and blinds closed.
- Take refuge in a small interior room, closet or hallway on the lowest level. Lie on the floor under a table or another sturdy object.
- Don't be fooled if there is a lull in the hurricane. It could be the eye of the storm, which will be followed by a resumption of extreme winds.
The U.S. government's Ready America website has more about staying safe during a hurricane.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.