- U.S. Cocaine Laced With Deadly Horse Drug
- N.H. Woman Swallowed Anthrax, Perhaps From Drum
- Antibody Destroys Prostate Cancer: Study
- Moldy Smell Prompts Recall of Tylenol Arthritis Caplets
Here are some of the latest health and medical news developments, compiled by the editors of HealthDay:
U.S. Cocaine Laced With Deadly Horse Drug
Cocaine users in the United States may also be ingesting a dangerous drug used to deworm horses, San Francisco health officials say.
The drug, levamisole, can amplify cocaine's effect, but it also reduces white blood cells in humans. Levamisole has killed at least one cocaine user in New Mexico, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and it has sickened at least eight in San Francisco. Symptoms include fever, oral and anal sores and virulent infections, United Press International reported.
Not everyone exposed to the drug becomes sick, however. The San Francisco Chronicle noted that 90 percent of 200 people who tested positive for cocaine also tested positive for levamisole in a recent study.
"The big question we have right now is, if 90 percent of cocaine users in San Francisco are positive for levamisole and are being exposed to this compound, then why aren't 90 percent of them in the emergency room with these side effects?" said Kara Lynch, associate head of the chemistry and toxicology lab at San Francisco General.
N.H. Woman Swallowed Anthrax, Perhaps From Drum
Health experts suspect a rare gastrointestinal anthrax case may be linked to a recent drumming circle in New Hampshire.
The New Hampshire woman who was stricken with the potentially fatal illness may have swallowed spores released into the air during a drumming exhibition she attended Dec. 4 at the United Campus Ministry center in Durham, the Associated Press reported.
An investigation revealed anthrax spores on two of the hide-covered drums, leading officials to shut down the center this week. After also finding spores on an electrical outlet, officials on Tuesday said antibiotics and vaccines would be available to 60 people who attended the drum circle and another 20 University of New Hampshire students who lived in the building or worked there.
Some health officials are calling this the first case of gastrointestinal anthrax in the United States, but the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has not confirmed that, the AP said.
One theory is that the woman ingested airborne spores propelled from a drum's animal-hide covering. "This was a wild type of anthrax that is found ubiquitously in our environment," said Dr. Elizabeth Talbot, an adviser to the state's public health division. "It can become stirred up or agitated to a place where it briefly suspends in the air, and this patient likely contacted it on her fingers and introduced it into her mouth or inhaled a ... spore into her mouth and then swallowed it," she said.
Two other recent U.S. anthrax cases involved hide-covered African drums, but in those instances the spores were inhaled or permeated the skin.
Antibody Destroys Prostate Cancer: Study
Researchers have discovered an antibody that seeks out and abolishes prostate cancer cells in mice, even in advanced stages, a finding with potential for treatment of the disease in men, says the University of Pennsylvania research team.
The antibody, known as F77, was able to bond with cancerous prostate tissues and cells, even androgen-independent cancer cells, which are seen in incurable prostate cancer, Agence France-Presse reported. But it didn't target normal tissues or tissues in other parts of the body, the researchers said.
The five-year survival rate for metastatic prostate cancer is currently 34 percent, they said in the study, which is published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science.
The antibody "shows promising potential for diagnosis and treatment of prostate cancer, especially for androgen-independent metastatic prostate cancer," which often spreads to the bones and is difficult to treat, they wrote.
Prostate cancer kills 500,000 men a year worldwide, according to the World Health Organization.
Moldy Smell Prompts Recall of Tylenol Arthritis Caplets
Consumer complaints about a moldy smell and gastrointestinal side effects from Tylenol Arthritis Caplets have led McNeil Consumer Healthcare to expand its voluntary recall of the 100-count bottles.
The New Jersey-based company announced the recall of all product lots of the Arthritis Pain Caplet 100-count bottles with the red EZ-Open Cap after reports of a moldy or musty smell that might cause vomiting, stomach pain, nausea and diarrhea.
The odor comes from trace amounts of a chemical called 2,4,6-tribromoanisole, which is created by the breakdown of another chemical used to treat wooden pallets that carry packaging materials, according to a McNeil statement. Not much is known about the health effects of this compound, but none of the side effects reported to McNeil were long-lasting or serious, the company said.
Consumers who bought the 100-count bottles with the EZ-Open red cap from the lots included in the recall can contact McNeil for instructions on a refund or replacement at 1-888-222-6036 or www.tylenol.com. Contact your doctor if you have medical concerns, the company advises.
In 1982, seven people in the Chicago area died after taking Extra-Strength Tylenol capsules that had been poisoned with potassium cyanide. The case was never solved, but it led to new guidelines for packaging over-the-counter products.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.