(HealthDay News) -- If it's time to do some work on your roof, a refresher on ladder safety is of high importance.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these suggestions:
- Don't sit on the shelf or top rung of the ladder. Most likely, it won't support your weight.
- Don't use more ladder than you need. Only use an extension ladder for really tall jobs, and opt for a utility ladder or sturdy step stool for lower-height projects.
- Pay attention when pulling or pushing anything while you're on a ladder. These motions can make it easier for you to lose your balance and fall.
- Don't reach too far or lean off the ladder; it's safer to get off the ladder and center it closer to where you need to be.
- Climb up the middle of the ladder (don't lean toward either side) while another person steadies it from the ground.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.