(HealthDay News) -- Common chemicals stored throughout the home could pose health risks if not stored properly and used correctly.
The Cleveland Clinic offers these safety suggestions when working with household chemicals:
- When using all-purpose cleaners in the kitchen or bathroom, always wear gloves, and open a window or turn on a fan to minimize inhalation of fumes.
- Be careful to avoid letting bleach touch your skin or splash in your eyes. Also, avoid breathing in the fumes.
- Never mix bleach with any other cleaner, especially anything that contains ammonia.
- When using an oven-cleaning product, fully protect yourself with goggles, gloves and long sleeves. Look for cleaners without lye, and make sure the area is well-ventilated.
- Antibacterial cleaning products can burn the skin, so make sure you wear gloves.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.