• Tell your child to avoid head-to-head contact with others at home, school, day care, or anywhere else where there is the potential for lice to spread.
• Make sure your child doesn't share any personal items, such as hats, combs, brushes, or towels, with anyone else.
• Wash all clothes and bed linens that have been used by someone infested with head lice in hot water.
• If a family member has been infested with head lice, it's important to periodically check everyone in your household.
• It's important to minimize outbreaks by immediately contacting your child's school or day care center if your child has head lice. Their policy may be that your child has to stay home until treatment has been completed.
Note: This article was originally published on Sept. 13, 2012 on PharmacyTimes.com. It has been edited and republished by U.S. News.