(HealthDay News) -- Women should be cautious about exposure to any chemicals during pregnancy, even to hair dyes and treatments.
Here are guidelines for pregnant women about the use of these products, courtesy of the American Pregnancy Association:
- Try to avoid treatments that straighten, bleach, perm or color hair until the second trimester.
- Make sure that any treatment is applied in a well-ventilated area.
- Don't leave hair chemicals in longer than necessary.
- Make sure your hair and scalp are thoroughly rinsed with water after the treatment.
- Always wear gloves when applying these chemicals yourself, and always follow manufacturer directions carefully.
- Try testing on a small patch of hair first, to monitor for any allergic reaction.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.