(HealthDay News) -- While nightmares mostly affect children, even adults have an occasional bad dream.
Why do nightmares happen? The U.S. National Library of Medicine offers this list of possible causes:
- Being stressed or anxious, often resulting from a significant life event.
- Withdrawing too quickly from alcohol use, or drinking too much alcohol.
- Having a sleep disorder, such as narcolepsy.
- Being sick with a fever.
- Having a side effect or reaction to a drug.
- Eating too close to bedtime, which raises your metabolism and increases brain activity.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.