(HealthDay News) -- A hammertoe is an abnormal bending of a toe at the joint, which often causes pain when footwear touches the top of the bent toe. Women are affected more often than men.
The American Podiatric Medical Association suggests how to help alleviate the pain of a hammertoe:
- Protect the toe with a non-medicated pad designed for hammertoes.
- Choose shoes that offer plenty of room in the toe area.
- Place an ice pack over the area that's painful or swollen.
- Wear shoes with a heel no higher than two inches.
- Wear shoes that fit loosely and aren't too narrow.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.