(HealthDay News) -- Whether you're traveling or welcoming people into your home, lifting luggage can be hazardous.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers this advice to help prevent injury while lifting luggage:
- Opt for suitcases that are lightweight but sturdy, and have wheels for easier transportation.
- Pack items in a few smaller bags rather than packing one huge, heavy suitcase.
- Stand next to the suitcase and lift while bending at the knees -- not the waist -- using your leg muscles.
- Hold the suitcase as close to the center of your body as possible.
- Use both hands, if possible, rather than carrying the suitcase on one side.
- Keep your body straight, rather than twisting or turning.
- Don't be in a rush, and ask for help when you need it.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.