(HealthDay News) -- It's not always possible to prevent low back pain. But the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons says there are things you can do to help keep it away:
- Get plenty of regular exercise, including aerobics and exercises to strengthen your back and abdominal muscles.
- When carrying heavy objects, lift with your legs, not your back. Always bend at the knees with a straight back; don't bend over.
- If you're overweight, lose those extra pounds to reduce stress on the lower back muscles.
- Don't smoke. Smoking contributes to degeneration of the spine.
- Maintain good posture, especially while sitting, lifting objects and standing.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.