(HealthDay News) -- A stiff or painful neck can be caused by an injury or everyday activities that cause muscle strain or tension.
Prevent neck pain with these suggestions from the U.S. National Library of Medicine:
- Try relaxation techniques and regular exercise to relieve stress and muscle tension.
- Stretch your neck muscles every day -- always before and after exercise.
- If exercise seems to cause neck pain, apply an ice pack after working out.
- Maintain good posture, and stretch your neck muscles frequently when you work at a computer. Make sure your monitor and any paperwork are at eye level.
- Use a headset when you talk on the phone.
- If your sleeping position causes neck pain, consider using a special neck pillow.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.