(HealthDay News) -- Lifting or carrying objects -- even light ones -- can cause injury and pain if you don't follow the proper techniques.
The National Safety Council offers these suggestions to help prevent back injuries:
- Take the time to stretch your legs and back before doing a lot of carrying or lifting.
- Wear safety protection on your hands and feet.
- Use a stool or sturdy ladder to reach objects that are seated above your shoulders.
- Keep your feet solid. Lift with your legs, not your back. Carry the object close to you.
- Always get help carrying very heavy objects.
- Keep your stomach pulled in and use those muscles to support your back.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.