(HealthDay News) -- Hands can become so dry and chapped -- especially during winter -- that they can become very painful.
The U.S. National Library of Medicine offers these suggestions to help prevent chapped hands:
- Keep them covered, avoiding exposure to sun, cold or wind.
- Don't wash your hands with water that's too hot.
- Wash your hands when necessary to prevent the spread of germs, but don't overdo it.
- Use a humidifier at home.
- Stay away from harsh soaps.
- Moisturize your hands frequently.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.