(HealthDay News) -- Before you head out for a day of skiing, make sure that you are physically ready and prepared for the elements.
The U.S. National Safety Council offers these suggestions:
- Make sure you're in shape. Skiing is a strenuous activity that can quickly tire an out-of-shape body.
- Make sure you have properly fitted equipment that's in good condition.
- Dress for the weather. Choose water- and wind-resistant clothes, with cuffs and other features that can help keep you warm.
- Wear plenty of layers, and don't forget a hat and gloves.
- Use sunscreen. Even in cloudy winter weather, you can get a bad burn from the sun, especially when it reflects off the snow.
- Wear goggles or sunglasses to protect your eyes.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.