(HealthDay News) -- If your child is a picky eater and refuses to eat or try new foods, the University of Maryland Medical Center offers these suggestions:
- Set an example by eating various healthy foods yourself.
- Fix foods that are attractive. Decorate your child's plate with bright, colorful foods with different consistencies.
- If your child isn't hungry, don't force the issue. When children are hungry enough, they will eat.
- Stay away from sugary treats. Instead, offer fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Make healthy eating a tradition. Start early by offering a variety of baby foods when the child is as young as 6 months.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.