(HealthDay News) -- Braces require special care to help keep them functioning properly and prevent tooth damage.
The American Association of Orthodontists offers these suggestions for taking care of your teeth and braces:
- Brush and floss your teeth each day. Infrequent brushing can lead to more trips to the dentist or orthodontist.
- The cleaner and healthier teeth are, the faster they will move, the AAO says.
- If you play a sport, you may need to wear a mouth guard.
- Never chew on pens, pencils, erasers or fingernails.
- Stay away from foods that are very hard or crunchy, sticky or chewy.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.