(HealthDay News) -- Holidays are a time of happiness but they can also be quite stressful, especially for caregivers and their charges with Alzheimer's disease.
The National Institute on Aging offers these suggestions for caregivers:
- Keep up with family traditions, and, as much as possible, include your loved one with Alzheimer's disease.
- Understand and accept the changes that the disease brings, and be realistic in your expectations.
- Encourage visits from family and friends, but arrange them appropriately. Don't schedule too many at a time, and plan them when the person with Alzheimer's is likely to be at his or her best.
- Keep your loved one comfortable and happy by keeping the routine the same, and avoiding crowds and confusing situations.
- Ask for help so that you have time to relax and enjoy the holidays.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.