(HealthDay News) -- Some stress is unavoidable, but there are things you can do to prevent stress from taking over your life and making health problems worse.
The Cleveland Clinic offers these suggestions:
- Stick to a healthy diet, get plenty of exercise, avoid smoking and limit the amount of alcohol you drink.
- Don't allow others to make demands or set expectations for you. Say no, and don't be afraid to stand up for yourself.
- Take time every day just to relax.
- Set realistic goals and expectations for yourself, but understand that you can't control everything.
- Figure out what causes you stress in your life. Eliminate what you can, and learn how to manage other sources of stress.
- Remind yourself of what you do well and successes that you've had.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.