(HealthDay News) -- In the days before surgery, it's important to make sure that you are physically healthy, and that your mind is relaxed and prepared.
Here are suggestions from the National Women's Health Resource Center on what to do before your operation:
- Maintain a healthy, balanced diet. Be sure to get enough vitamin C, which will help your body heal.
- Quit smoking and avoid alcohol.
- Get regular exercise.
- Don't use blood-thinning medications, including aspirin, for one week before surgery. If you have a need to take such medications, discuss this with your doctor.
- Keep a positive attitude.
- Talk to your doctor about how to control post-surgical pain.
- Try deep breathing techniques and relaxation exercises.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.