(HealthDay News) -- Falls in the home can lead to serious injury, including the all-too-common broken hip.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these suggestions to minimize the risk of falling:
- Keep stairs clear and well-lit, and make sure there are handrails on both sides. Also, there should be no loose rugs, carpets or boards.
- Make sure there's a slip-resistant rug outside the shower, with handrails and non-skid strips on the shower/tub floor.
- In the bedroom, make sure there is clear and easy access to the door. Also, keep a lamp or flashlight near the bed.
- Install a night light in the hallway, making that late-night trip to the bathroom safer.
- Make sure furniture and decorations don't block walkways.
- Keep all cords neat and out of the way, and all rugs or carpets firmly attached to the floor.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.