(HealthDay News) -- If you've got a painful, swollen bump at the base of your big toe known as a bunion, you probably want to know what can be done for relief.
The American Podiatric Medical Association offers these possible options:
- Apply a non-medicated bunion pad.
- Wear comfortable shoes with plenty of room in the toes, and a low heel.
- Apply an ice pack over the bunion when it becomes swollen, red or painful.
- Tape up the foot to help keep the toe in position.
- Take an anti-inflammatory medication to ease swelling and pain. Ask your podiatrist if you're a candidate for a cortisone injection.
- Use orthotic shoe inserts to help keep the feet in better alignment.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.